The Liberian Truth and Reconciliation Commission holds as paramount the safety and security of all people participating in the activities of the commission and all information we receive or impart. This includes all information and interactions on this website whether public or private. And we want you to know the measures we have taken to ensure security, integrity, and reliability of our online communication.
Public Information from the TRC
We are serious about keeping the material presented here as accurate and up-to-date as possible. The content is managed and maintained from the Commission offices in Monrovia and we upload content to the site using encrypted and password protected facilities. The site itself is maintained on a physically secure server in the USA, it is continually backed up and is routinely audited by an information security team. You should understand that any data system or communication over the Internet does carry a minimal risk of loss of integrity.
Public Information from You
Some parts of this site, such as the image gallery and discussion forum, will allow you to offer material which will be available to the public at large. We invite and encourage you to interact! This information is not considered confidential and will be available to all site visitors. You will find that some areas of the site allow you to interact publicly but anonymously or, alternatively, allow you to divulge identifying information about yourself which will be associated with your contributions.
Maintaining the integrity of material you upload to the TRC site is important to us. The material is maintained on a physically secure server in the USA, it is continually backed up and is routinely audited by an information security team. You should understand that any data system or communication over the Internet does carry a minimal risk of loss of integrity.
Private Information from You
Some parts of this site, and most importantly the online Statement area, allows you to communicate privately and confidentially with the Commission. You are allowed to communicate privately with the Commission anonymously or you may choose to provide us information about your individual identity.
You should understand that the responses that you provide, including your personal identity, will be encrypted before sent over the Internet and that all of the information provided will be encrypted and stored in a password protected environment and that the password is known only to the Commission and necessary staff. The material is maintained on a physically secure server in the USA, it is continually backed up and is routinely audited by an information security team. You should understand that any data system or communication over the Internet does carry a minimal risk of loss of integrity and that any form of communication over the Internet does carry a minimal risk of loss of confidentiality.
Information collected through this website, personal, confidential or otherwise, may, if not protected by federal or State law, be subject to disclosure pursuant to law or court order.
What will happen to your statement after you give it:
- No identifying information about you or what you say will be given to the media or other members of the public.
- The statement you give today will be gathered in a confidential manner and entered into a password-protected database; every effort will be made to safeguard the confidentiality of the information contained in the statements.
- When statement-taking is completed all the information in the database will be sent to the TRC in Liberia along with a final report summarizing the findings.
- The TRC in Liberia will conduct investigations into information from statements, will hold public hearings, and will write a final report that will be submitted to the government and people of Liberia.
- The archives of the TRC shall remain in the public domain except those records or documents classified by the TRC as “confidential” which shall remain classified for 20 years following the retirement of the TRC.
- If you have any concerns about your name being linked to your statement for any reason, you should give an anonymous statement, meaning that no individually identifying information about you will be included with your statement. Less weight may be given to anonymous statements.
We care about your safety and security......and invite you to contact us at any time to share with us your comments and concerns. Questions about TRC policies and practices can be directed to the Commission. Questions about this website and its data security policies and practices can be directed to the webmaster.